Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dimdex 2010 @ Doha

On 27th March 2010, for the first time, I landed in one of the desert regions of Middle East - DOHA. I suppose, I would never journey there if it was not for the sake of business. Again, I have much to thank my employers, don't I? 
Once landed, we made our way to the immigration line. For visa application, we applied on the spot at the counter, paying US Dollars. Thank God, they accept credit card, otherwise, we would not have enough to pass through. It's a simple airport, security was not tight. We made our way to the waiting lounge, supposedly to have the hotel pick-up waiting, but alas, arrangements was not done well on their part. 
Doha isn't a big place, moving around is not difficult, cabbies do know their way around. In fact, daily we took different cabbie services, I do notice that most of the drivers probably just landed in Doha not long ago. Probably, this is one of the easiest jobs to get. 
The main thing about Doha, the locals - being Sheikhs or the commoners, actually do not work. Yes, you read right. Who you see working, are all foreigners. Majority of them are Philippines, Indians and migrants from nearby countries such as Algeria. They are basically very friendly people, that's what I can say for the foreigners, as I require their services most times. About the locals, I can't comment much. 
It is indeed a rich country, developing at a very fast rate. New buildings are being constructed at the same go. It goes to show, the revenues they have is abundant. 
Being a desert land, they have constructed a green mirage in the city centre. Green, healthy turfs, bright coloured flowers and palms line the long stretch of seaside curve along the Central Business District. Away from there, you will begin to see stretches of sand dunes here and there, otherwise occupied by residential and commercial buildings. 

Skyscrapers in the making



Beautiful Algerian girls

A 2 star hotel standard, not bad


View from my hotel window. Looks like a war zone out there





Dimdex 2010 was held here

City night life

Hotel entrance

Hotel lobby

One of my favourite graphics - either you see it as a mournful robotic face sideways, otherwise, it is just a plain camera

The Souk...the only night street bearing lines of cafes and restaurants for the fun seekers

No comments:

Post a Comment